Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Is It Wrong?

Here is a question for Stuftivus readers. Is it wrong to start meats in the oven for the long slow cooking and then finish them on the barbecue to pick up the smokey flavor and add sauce for glaze and more flavor?

I never cook ribs on the grill. Following the food genius Alton Brown's method I rub them, wrap them in foil, pour some braising liquid in the foil pouch and leave in the oven on 250 for about three hours. Then I take the braising liquid, maybe add a thing or two, boil it down some more and use it to as a baste for the ribs.

The ribs are put on the uppper rack of my barbecue over some wood chips and I baste them for fifteen to thirty minutes (depends on what my "basting" liquid is and how fast I want to drink it). Ribs get a nice glaze from the basting sauce and a nice smoke flavor from the wood but I don't have to mess with checking them on the grill for several hours, worry about flame ups, etc.

Is this wrong to start your meats in the oven and finish them on the grill?

2 comments: